Friday, April 25, 2014

God will lead me.


     I don't know if I mentioned in my last blog that I met a veteran photographer.  I think he was just being nice, but he very lovely things to say about some of my photography.  It makes me nervous to have another photographer look at my stuff.  I start reevaluating my choices, my aperture, shutter speed for that shot, what the lighting was like, could I have posed the people differently, could I have told a funnier story to get them to laugh, the focal length chosen, the lens that I used...I just start doing that all over again (which is what I do while I edit as well).  Over the past few years, God has given me a more relaxed demeanor while I'm editing.  Any who, this guy, let's call him George for this blog.  So, George has really offered to mentor and help me.  I have shared all of my financials from last year, let him look at my work.  I have learned oh so much from him!  I just know God sent him to me to learn more stuff which I'm thrilled about.  I love learning more.  I will never know everything. Ever. And I'm okay with that.  I just want God to make my brain a little sponge to absorb as much as I can.  I am so very passionate about photography.  It's the most rewarding and fabulous job I have ever had.  Saying it's a job makes it sound like work.  It's work, but it's a pleasurable work.  I thoroughly enjoy it.  I still can't believe God gave this to me. :)

     After talking extensively with "George", and much resistance from me, I am going to restructure the pricing for Photography with Darla.  I'm a little bit of a worrier, so I immediately began questioning this.  What if my clients leave?  What if they go to someone cheaper?  What if someone gets mad?  What if no ever books with me again because they can get it done cheaper elsewhere?  Can I justify this jump?  The answers have answered themselves with help from friends, clients, and George.  I couldn't have answered these questions.  I am not confident enough in my work to do so.  God gave me the answers from other people's mouths.
What if my clients leave?  Then it's possible they aren't looking for the quality that I produce, just looking for a good deal.
What if the go to someone cheaper? They may just be shown that you get what you pay for, and return later.
What if no one ever books with me again?  several clients have voiced their opinions and they loved their session, and the results and will be back no matter what I charge.
Can I justify this jump? Yes. I most certainly can.  After figuring gas, props, lenses, camera maintenance, time editing, time to drive, time to shoot, time researching, webinars, and so much more...it was brought to my attention that I made almost $6/hour.  Where in the world would I be willing to work for $6/hour?  Can I live off of $6/hour, only if I did 833 sessions per year.  Yes, that's an accurate number. This made me sad. 
    
     But wait, God tells us in Isaiah 41:10 Be not dismayed, for I an your God.  I will strengthen you, yes, I will help you.  I will uphold you with me righteous right hand. 

     Wow!  He is going to help me.  He's going to walk right beside me.  During my prayer time on the way to work this morning it was made more clear when God reiterated in my heart what he has very clearly told me before (I have told this beginning of that God story many times)  God sent me each and everyone of those clients.  I didn't advertise.  I didn't rent a billboard, take out an ad, nothing.  He just sent them.  Why do I fear that a price increase would change that?  God will still send the people.  He did not give me all of this wonderful photography stuff to see me fail.  He doesn't work like that.

     I will Let Go, and Let God.  I will wait for His lead.   I could get used to this blogging stuff. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment